Over 63% of cumulative manmade greenhouse gas emissions have been generated by just ninety companies. Fifty of these companies are Investor owned, 31 are State owned, and 9 are Nation state owned.
Six Canadian companies are in the top ninety: Encana, Suncor, Canadian Natural Resources, Talisman, Husky Energy and Nexen.
Data courtesy of Richard Heede, Climate Accountability Institute, climateaccountability.org
Hover and click to explore. Clicking on areas in the rings will expand them to view more details.
- The centre (blue) circle represents the total industrial emissions of CO2 and methane (1854-2010)
- The "empty" (white) segment represents thousands of small fossil fuel and cement producers, or entities no longer extant
- On the first ring, companies are grouped according to ownership:
- green are state-owned companies (such as Saudi Aramco and 30 other national oil, gas, and coal companies)
- blue are 50 investor-owned companies
- grey are nine extant and former government-owned fossil fuel and cement industries (such as Former Soviet Union, China, Poland, and North Korea)
- The second ring comprises the individual companies
- The the outer ring represents the emissions from Product combustion emissions, Cement process emissions, Flaring, own fuel, vented CO2 and Fugitive methane