Lobby Your Municipal Government
Cities and towns are responsible for a growing percentage (more than 70%) of the world's emissions so it is important to get your municipal government to understand how important it is for them to provide good transit, reduce the emissions they are responsible for and also to assist their residents to reduce their emissions by holding townhalls and providing rebates.
Toronto is a member of C40 cities which is a network of the world’s megacities committed to addressing climate change. C40 supports cities to collaborate effectively, share knowledge and drive meaningful, measurable and sustainable action on climate change.
If you live in Toronto, tell your Councillor and Mayor:
- to increase the targets in the TransformTO plan and fund the plan adequately
- to support the Toronto Transit Corporation (TTC) and to increase bus route coverage
- to declare a climate emergency
A growing number of cities have declared a climate emergency:
- Vancouver, BC
- Richmond, BC
- Halifax, NS
- la Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal, QU
- Kingston, ON
- London, UK
- Montgomery County, Maryland
- Hoboken City Council, New Jersey
- Los Angeles City Council. CA
- Berkeley, CA (PDF)
- Richmond, CA
We also need to make a wholesale change to the way that we build neighbourhoods, from building codes, public transportation, and increased densities.
Read this TreeHugger article "We Need Active, Exciting and Vibrant Cities.